Rabu, 29 Juli 2026

Taking and Leaving Telephone Messages - BAhasa Inggris Untuk SMK Jurusan Manajemen Perkantoran

 

English for Office Management (SMK Manajemen Perkantoran)


1. Introduction



In an office, employees often receive phone calls when the person being called is unavailable. In this situation, they should know how to take messages correctly and politely.

A good telephone message must include important information such as:

  • The caller's name

  • The company (if any)

  • The phone number

  • The purpose of the call

  • The time of the call

  • The receiver's name

Being able to take and leave messages is an important skill for office staff, receptionists, and secretaries because it helps communication run smoothly.


2. Example of Telephone Message

Telephone Message Form

Telephone Message
Date: July 15, 2026
Time: 09.30 a.m.
To: Mr. David
From: Ms. Sarah (ABC Company)
Phone: 0812-3456-7890
Message: Please call me back about tomorrow's meeting.
Taken by: Rina

3. Example Conversations

Conversation 1

Situation: Taking a Message

Receptionist: Good morning. ABC Company. How may I help you?

Caller: Good morning. May I speak to Mr. David, please?

Receptionist: I'm sorry, Mr. David is in a meeting right now.

Caller: That's okay. Could you please tell him to call me back?

Receptionist: Certainly. May I have your name, please?

Caller: My name is Sarah from XYZ Company.

Receptionist: May I have your phone number?

Caller: It's 0812-3456-7890.

Receptionist: Thank you. I'll give him your message.

Caller: Thank you very much.

Receptionist: You're welcome. Have a nice day.


Conversation 2

Situation: Leaving a Message

Secretary: Good afternoon. Bright Office Services. How can I help you?

Caller: Hello. I'd like to speak with Mrs. Linda.

Secretary: I'm afraid she's out of the office.

Caller: I see. Could you leave a message for her?

Secretary: Of course. What would you like me to say?

Caller: Please tell her that tomorrow's meeting has been moved to 2 p.m.

Secretary: Certainly. May I have your name?

Caller: This is Kevin from Global Tech.

Secretary: Thank you, Mr. Kevin. I'll make sure she gets your message.

Caller: Thank you.

Secretary: You're welcome.


4. Explanation

A. What is a Telephone Message?

A telephone message is information written down when the person receiving the call cannot speak directly to the caller.

A good message should be:

  • Clear

  • Short

  • Accurate

  • Complete


B. Important Information

Always write:

  • Date

  • Time

  • Caller's name

  • Company

  • Phone number

  • Purpose of the call

  • Person receiving the message


C. Useful Expressions

Asking for Someone

  • May I speak to Mr. David?

  • Could I speak with Mrs. Linda?


Saying Someone is Unavailable

  • He is in a meeting.

  • She is out of the office.

  • He isn't available right now.


Taking a Message

  • May I take a message?

  • Could you repeat that, please?

  • May I have your phone number?


Ending the Conversation

  • I'll give him your message.

  • I'll make sure she receives your message.

  • Thank you for calling.

  • Have a nice day.


5. Vocabulary

WordMeaning
caller                            penelepon
receptionistresepsionis
secretarysekretaris
meetingrapat
messagepesan
availabletersedia
unavailabletidak tersedia
phone numbernomor telepon
companyperusahaan
officekantor
call backmenelepon kembali
leave a messagemeninggalkan pesan
receivemenerima
tellmemberi tahu
tomorrowbesok

6. Exercises

A. Essay Questions

Answer the following questions.

  1. What is a telephone message?

  2. Why is taking messages important in an office?

  3. What information should be included in a telephone message?

  4. Why should office staff speak politely on the phone?

  5. Imagine your manager is not in the office. Write a short telephone message from a customer.


B. Multiple Choice

Choose the best answer.

1. Why do we take a telephone message?

A. To write an email

B. To remember important information when someone is unavailable

C. To send a package

D. To make a report


2. Which expression is used to offer taking a message?

A. Please open the door.

B. May I take a message?

C. Nice to meet you.

D. What's your hobby?


3. If the manager is busy, the receptionist should say...

A. He isn't here. Goodbye.

B. He is in a meeting right now.

C. Don't call again.

D. I don't know.


4. Which information is NOT usually written in a telephone message?

A. Caller's name

B. Phone number

C. Favorite food

D. Message


5. What does "call me back" mean?

A. Send me an email.

B. Visit my office.

C. Telephone me again.

D. Write me a letter.


6. Which sentence is the most polite?

A. Wait.

B. Hold on.

C. Could you please hold for a moment?

D. Stay there.


7. Who usually receives business phone calls first?

A. Security

B. Receptionist

C. Driver

D. Customer


8. Complete the sentence: "May I _____ your phone number?"

A. Bring

B. Have

C. Make

D. Find


9. What should a receptionist do after taking a message?

A. Throw it away.

B. Keep it secret.

C. Give the message to the correct person.

D. Ignore it.


10. Which expression is used to end a phone conversation politely?

A. Bye.

B. Whatever.

C. Thank you for calling. Have a nice day.

D. Finish.


Learning Reflection

After completing this lesson, I can:

☐ Answer a business phone call politely.

☐ Take a telephone message correctly.

☐ Leave a clear and complete message.

☐ Use polite expressions during a telephone conversation.

☐ Fill in a telephone message form accurately.

Artikel Terkait


EmoticonEmoticon