Rabu, 29 Juli 2026

Using Modal Auxiliaries in Telephone Calls - Bahasa Inggris Untuk SMK Manajemen Perkantoran

 

Language Focus



Asking Permission

May I help you?

May I know who's calling?

May I take a message?


Making Requests

Could you repeat that?

Could you hold for a moment?

Could you spell your name?

Would you please wait?


Offering Help

Shall I transfer your call?

Would you like to leave a message?

Can I help you?


Promising Action

I will call you back.

I will give him your message.

She will contact you tomorrow.


Giving Advice

You should call after lunch.

You should send an email as well.


Giving Obligation

You must include your phone number.

You must confirm the meeting schedule.


6. Grammar Focus

Formula

Subject + Modal + Verb 1

Examples

I can help you.

She will call later.

Could you repeat that?

May I take your message?

Notice:

After a modal auxiliary, always use the base form (Verb 1).

✔ Could you tell me?

✔ May I speak to Mr. David?

❌ Could you tells me?

❌ May I speaking to Mr. David?


Vocabulary

WordMeaning
permissionizin
request                            permintaan
offermenawarkan
advicesaran
obligationkewajiban
transfermenghubungkan
availabletersedia
messagepesan
customerpelanggan
receptionistresepsionis
appointmentjanji
confirmmengonfirmasi
politelydengan sopan
companyperusahaan
colleaguerekan kerja

Exercises (untuk Modul)

Essay

  1. What is a modal auxiliary?
  2. Why do receptionists use modal auxiliaries?
  3. Write three polite requests using Could.
  4. Write two offers using Would.
  5. Explain the difference between Can and Could.

Multiple Choice

10 soal tentang fungsi modal auxiliaries dalam konteks komunikasi telepon bisnis.


Project

Students work in pairs.

Create a telephone conversation (12–15 exchanges) between:

  • Receptionist
  • Customer

Requirements:

  • Use at least 6 different modal auxiliaries.
  • Include greetings, requests, offers, permission, taking messages, and closing.
  • Perform the conversation in front of the class.

Artikel Terkait


EmoticonEmoticon