TAKING AND LEAVING TELEPHONE MESSAGES
Planning a Chemical Sampling Activity
Learning Objectives
After completing this lesson, students are able to:
understand telephone conversations related to industrial sampling activities.
identify important information in telephone messages.
use polite expressions when taking and leaving messages.
communicate professionally in laboratory and industrial environments.
Introduction
In chemical industries, laboratory technicians often communicate by telephone to arrange sampling activities. A laboratory analyst may receive calls from the Quality Control (QC) department, the Production department, or field technicians regarding sample collection schedules, testing requests, or laboratory preparation.
If the laboratory staff is unavailable, another employee must take a complete and accurate telephone message. Correct communication helps ensure that sampling activities are carried out safely, efficiently, and on schedule.
Example Telephone Message
| Telephone Message |
|---|
| Date |
| Time |
| To |
| From |
| Department |
| Phone Number |
| Message |
| Taken by |
Example Conversation 1
Receptionist : Good morning. Chemical Laboratory. How may I help you?
Caller : Good morning. May I speak to Mr. Arif from the QC Laboratory?
Receptionist : I'm sorry. He is collecting samples in the production area.
Caller : I understand. Could you please tell him that the water sampling has been rescheduled to 2 p.m.?
Receptionist : Certainly. May I have your name, please?
Caller : My name is Dina from the Production Department.
Receptionist : Thank you. I'll give him your message as soon as he returns.
Example Conversation 2
Laboratory Assistant : Good afternoon. Quality Control Laboratory. How may I help you?
Caller : Hello. I'd like to speak with Ms. Sinta.
Laboratory Assistant : I'm afraid she is analyzing today's samples.
Caller : That's okay. Please tell her that the raw material samples are ready for testing.
Laboratory Assistant : Certainly. I'll make sure she receives your message.
Caller : Thank you.
Laboratory Assistant : You're welcome. Have a nice day.
Language Focus
What is a Telephone Message?
A telephone message is written information received when the intended person cannot answer the phone directly.
In an industrial laboratory, telephone messages help laboratory staff receive important information about sampling schedules, testing requests, sample delivery, and laboratory preparation.
A good telephone message should include:
Date
Time
Caller's name
Department or company
Phone number
Purpose of the call
Person receiving the message
Useful Expressions
Asking for Someone
May I speak to the laboratory analyst?
Could I speak with Mr. Arif?
Is Ms. Sinta available?
Taking a Message
May I take a message?
Could you repeat that, please?
May I have your phone number?
Could you spell your name, please?
Leaving a Message
Please tell him that the sampling schedule has changed.
Please ask her to prepare the laboratory equipment.
Please inform him that the samples are ready.
Closing
Thank you for calling.
I'll give him your message.
Have a nice day.
Vocabulary
| Word | Meaning |
|---|---|
| sampling | pengambilan sampel |
| sample | sampel |
| laboratory | laboratorium |
| laboratory analyst | analis laboratorium |
| laboratory assistant | asisten laboratorium |
| quality control (QC) | pengendalian mutu |
| production department | departemen produksi |
| raw material | bahan baku |
| testing | pengujian |
| analysis | analisis |
| equipment | peralatan |
| prepare | mempersiapkan |
| reschedule | menjadwal ulang |
| collect | mengambil |
| tank | tangki |
| inspection | inspeksi |
| chemical | bahan kimia |
| report | laporan |
| safety procedure | prosedur keselamatan |
| laboratory report | laporan laboratorium |
Exercises
Essay
Answer the questions.
Why is telephone communication important in a chemical laboratory?
What information should be included in a telephone message?
Mention three polite expressions used to take a telephone message.
Why should laboratory staff record messages accurately?
Write a short telephone message about planning a sampling activity.
Multiple Choice
Why did Ms. Dina call the laboratory?
A. To buy laboratory equipment
B. To change the sampling schedule
C. To repair the laboratory
D. To order chemicals
Where was Mr. Arif?
A. At home
B. In a meeting
C. Collecting samples in the production area
D. In the warehouse
Which department called the laboratory?
A. Finance
B. Marketing
C. Production
D. Human Resources
What should the receptionist do after taking the message?
A. Throw it away
B. Ignore it
C. Deliver the message to Mr. Arif
D. Delete it
Which expression is the most polite?
A. Wait.
B. Hold on.
C. Could you please hold for a moment?
D. Stay there.
Mini Project
Role Play: Planning a Sampling Activity
Work in pairs.
Student A: Laboratory Assistant
Student B: Production Supervisor
Situation:
The Production Department needs to reschedule a water sampling activity because maintenance work is still in progress. The laboratory analyst is unavailable, so the laboratory assistant must take a complete telephone message.
Your conversation should include:
Greeting
Asking for someone
Explaining that the person is unavailable
Taking a message
Confirming the sampling schedule
Closing politely
Target: 10–12 exchanges using professional English suitable for a chemical laboratory environment.

EmoticonEmoticon